The world's first blue plaques were erected in London, in the nineteenth century to mark the homes and workplaces of famous people. This original scheme still survives today and is administered by English Heritage.

On February 8th 2012, Worcester Civic Society unveiled the first blue plaque in the city of Worcester, with further plans to erect two or three plaques each year to commemorate eminent people who have had an association with the city.

Alice Ottley

Unveiled: June 22nd 2013
Location: Alice Ottley School, The Tything, Worcester.
To Commemorate: Alice Ottley (1840 – 1912)

Alice Ottley

Educational Pioneer and first Headmistress of the Worcester High School for Girls which was founded in 1883. Alice Ottley remained Headmistress until 1912 and died the same year.

Benjamin Williams

Unveiled: February 8th 2012
Location: Diglis House Hotel, Worcester.
To Commemorate: Benjamin Williams Leader (1831 – 1923)
Influential landscape artist who was educated at Worcester Royal Grammar School, and studied art at the Worcester School of Design. His family eventually came to reside at "Diglis House", where he lived for several years.

Godfrey Brown

Unveiled: October 23rd 2013
Location: Royal Grammar School, The Tything, Worcester.
To Commemorate: Godfrey Brown (1915 – 1995)

Godfrey Brown

Headmaster of the Royal Grammar School. Gold medal winner in the 4 x 400 yds relay and silver medal winner in the 400 yds individual race at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

R.E "Tip" Foster

Unveiled: August 17th 2014
Location: Worcestershire County Cricket ground, New Road, Worcester.
To Commemorate: R.E "Tip" Foster (1878 – 1914)

R.E "Tip" Foster

English cricketer and football player. The only man to have captained England at both sports. Born in Malvern he was one of 7 brothers who all played cricket for Malvern and Worcestershire.

Revd. Kennedy

Unveiled: October 19th 2014
Location: St Paul’s Church, St Paul’s Street, Worcester.
To Commemorate: Revd. Geoffrey A. Studdert Kennedy (1883 – 1929)

Revd. Kennedy

Vicar of the parish of St Pauls prior to becoming a noted World War I chaplain nicknamed 'Woodbine Willie' for giving Woodbine cigarettes along with spiritual aid to injured and dying soldiers.

Scroll to Top